Friday, February 25, 2011

A New Objectivity

I've got to admit, I've got writer's block today. There are a couple things I could write about, but I'll hold off on them, at least for this week.

The issue of objectivity in journalism is something that has been on my mind lately. Recently, I visited the Facebook page of a reporter acquaintance, and noticed his political and religious view sections read, "Not allowed to have any." Others have written "Journalism" into those spots.

Let me say that I have nothing against doing that; in fact, I think it's actually pretty funny. But I do believe that it points to a sticky issue in the field that many of those just starting out struggle with.

A lot of journalists believe that we're not supposed to have opinions. And if we do, God help us (oops, that was a religious observation...) if we state it aloud.

Of course, the reasons for that are definitely sound ones. Our profession requires a great deal of responsibility, ethics and trustworthiness. Our audiences need to know that we're not going to let our opinions get in the way of our jobs.

But -- and this is just my personal belief -- I don't think that means we should necessarily have to put our opinions in a box when we take a job. We are still people, after all. We're not sterilized robots. A good journalist will be able to do his or her job fairly, regardless of their feelings on the issue being covered.

Now, I know that if our opinions are well-known, there may be some skepticism or suspicion among our readers. But frankly, look at the unfortunate state of many papers and TV networks today where editorializing is the norm. People are already suspicious.

How often do you hear people saying CNN is liberal and Fox News is conservative? How many people have suggested the "mainstream media" is pandering to the government? I've actually been told that all reporters have a liberal agenda. I guess they don't know me very well.

Maybe if we were more open about what it is we believe, it would put those worries to rest because no one would have to wonder. And if we did allow our opinions to slip through, audiences would be able to spot it quickly and easy, and call us out for it.

In short, what I'm trying to say is that there needs to be greater transparency in journalism if we want to earn the respect and trust of the country again.

I like the ethics policy over at Patch.com. (I am not affiliated with them in any way, just so that's clear.)

At Patch, we promise always to report the facts as objectively as possible and otherwise adhere to the principles of good journalism. However, we also acknowledge that true impartiality is impossible because human beings have beliefs. So in the spirit of simple honesty, our policy is to encourage our editors to reveal their beliefs to the extent they feel comfortable. This disclosure is not a license for them to inject their beliefs into stories or to dictate coverage according to them. In fact, the intent is the opposite: we hope that the knowledge that their beliefs are on the record will cause them to be ever mindful to write, report and edit in a fair, balanced way. And if you ever see evidence that we failed in this mission, please let us know.


1 comment:

  1. Love it! You've been mulling over this for quite a while, so it was a good time to put into words. The policy of patch.com will be a good one to follow. And remember, no matter what, stand up for God. He will take care of the consequences.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your interest in my blog! Please remember when commenting that this is an academic assignment, and while I will gladly answer any questions about Catholicism, I will only be able to respond regarding my own personal faith to a certain extent. If you would like to engage me about *my* faith, feel free to contact me privately. Peace! :)