Friday, March 04, 2011

Movin' on up!

A couple years ago when I was new to Rowan, I went through a breakup and found myself questioning if I had done the right thing. My chaplain had me do a silly card trick with him -- you know, the kind where he finds your card in a shuffled deck. The point was that no matter what I do to mix up my life, as long as I sincerely seek God, I'll receive whatever is best for me and shouldn't worry.

I remembered that moment last week when I got a casual email from a journalist I know, explaining that her publication wanted to talk with me about a part-time position they were creating. Two days and a 0-minute interview later, I walked out with a post-graduation job in the field.

God is so interesting.

After a weekend of panic, I settled into the idea of running a monthly mini-magazine. Essentially, being a Christian is accepting whatever curve balls come your way gracefully. I'm thrilled about this opportunity, and suppose that it means God thinks I can handle it. That's a note of confidence for me. :)

It's starting to hit me that suddenly, with this job, my adulthood has finally arrived. The moment I've been working toward since I was 17 is suddenly staring me in the face. It's a little intimidating and strange imagining that I'm closing this chapter of my life -- college life -- and starting over. But at the same time, I know that I've been  stuffed with all these crazy multimedia skills in order to do something like this, so it's not unfamiliar. Just...large. And that's okay.

I promise I'll have more to write about starting with next week's entry -- we're entering Lent on Wednesday, so lots will be going on. Thanks for coming along with me.

2 comments:

  1. You did the right thing then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you ask God to direct your life, surprisingly to us, he does it! When you direct your own life and ask God to bless it, hmm....we wonder why things don't seem right. You are ready for the next chapter, and I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your interest in my blog! Please remember when commenting that this is an academic assignment, and while I will gladly answer any questions about Catholicism, I will only be able to respond regarding my own personal faith to a certain extent. If you would like to engage me about *my* faith, feel free to contact me privately. Peace! :)