Monday, November 22, 2010

New York's Dolan to Lead U.S. Bishops

There has been an especially large amount of buzz in Catholic news lately. There are two stories I want to cover that have broken over the past few days, so bear with me as I work to sort out the details.

The first comes out of the nation's capital from Tuesday. Timothy Dolan, the Archbishop of New York, has been elected to lead the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. The USCCB serves as the main body of Catholic leadership and guidance in America.

The question here is likely "So what?" The answer is that no one saw this result coming. The USCCB has consistently elected its Vice President into the top spot for every single election since its creation (then the National Conference of Catholic Bishops) in 1966.

Currently, the sitting vice president is Tuscon's Gerald Kicanas, an outspoken liberal in his theology who has aligned himself with pro-abortion and GLBT causes and politicians. There have also been instances of priests abusing children under his watch. For the more progressive of the Church, Kicanas has been seen as a rallying point and hope for the future. As VP, his elevation to president was virtually guaranteed.

But after the third round of voting, Dolan emerged as the clear winner, defeating Kicanas 128-111. Known as a fierce defender of both the Pope and conservative values, he has become a favorite among those who toe the Church's party line. The decision is a startling one, both because it was unprecedented and because, as the bishop of the Archdiocese of New York, he is one of the most prominent faces in Catholic America.

The one thing I will say without compromising my objectivity is that it's great to see a bishop have so much charisma. Let's hope that personality serves well in the Church's relations with the country's political scene.

1 comment:

Thanks for your interest in my blog! Please remember when commenting that this is an academic assignment, and while I will gladly answer any questions about Catholicism, I will only be able to respond regarding my own personal faith to a certain extent. If you would like to engage me about *my* faith, feel free to contact me privately. Peace! :)