Friday, November 05, 2010

Losing Christ in Christmas

I was really hoping that I would be able to save this post for another week or two, but it looks like the time has come sooner than I expected.

Or I guess what I should say is that "it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas..."

Today, I went to spend some of the birthday money that's been burning a hole in my pocket at a mall about 30 miles south of Rowan. Signs were up all over the place advertising the upcoming arrival of Santa Claus for photos and eager wish lists on ... Nov. 13! How about that. Don't you think it would be easier to, you know, put the Halloween decorations away first? Goodness, we still have a solid three weeks to go before Thanksgiving, even.

Now in the spirit of full disclosure and integrity I have to confess that I'm probably more excited than my baby cousins (seven of them ages 2 to 6, one on the way) when it comes to the holiday season. I'm guilty of blasting Christmas music in my apartment on campus by the second week of classes, have had ideas for gifts since the third, and was very close to buying my outfit for the family party today. I'm really terrible about it.

In my own defense, however, the reason I'm so crazy is because my family has taught me to appreciate the joy and simplicity of this time of year, despite the rushing and preparations. It's an opportunity to slow down with my family and be thankful that we've gotten through another year. For me personally, the coming of Christmas has given me so much more to celebrate now that I actually celebrate it for its purpose -- Christ. (So that's what Christmas is about? Jesus? Go figure!)

The stores were full to overflowing today with trees, candy canes, snowmen and enough reindeer to fill a barn...yet, ironically, the only time I saw anything to do with spirituality was in a gift card envelope. Even that reference was one use of the word "holy" in a ridiculous and cheesy rhyming couplet. I read it, groaned, and put it back.

Where, I kept asking myself, did they hide the Christ child under all of those snowmen???

Keep the faith, friends. ;)

(I'm thinking of turning this into a column for The Whit...Cuddy, when you see this, do you think it's got a shot if I clean it up some?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your interest in my blog! Please remember when commenting that this is an academic assignment, and while I will gladly answer any questions about Catholicism, I will only be able to respond regarding my own personal faith to a certain extent. If you would like to engage me about *my* faith, feel free to contact me privately. Peace! :)