Thursday, November 18, 2010

A Matter of Time

Last night was the last meeting at CCM until after the brief Thanksgiving break. When we return for Mass on Sunday the 28th, it will be the first Sunday of Advent. If you'll recall my post from last year on this season, this means that there will be only four weeks standing between us and Christmas.

It's funny how the season tends to sneak up on us, at least for me.

Ironically, last night our chaplain used the meeting to talk about time. Advent is a subdued kind of season as we all dig in our heels and reflect back on everything that has gotten us to this point, repenting as we find we need to. It's a time to focus on all that Christ has done (this is especially true for this weekend's holy day, the Solemnity of Christ the King) for us, the direction our lives are headed as we seek to follow Him, and of course, the end of time.

Father told us a story of a woman he had known named Connie, a poet from Pennsylvania who, after suffering a terrible stroke, lost her ability to communicate. She was virtually a soul trapped in a shell.

Her daughter was one day very emotional over this, and wrapping her arms around her mother, said, "Mom, if it weren't immoral, I wish I could help you move on to heaven so you don't have to suffer like this."

Using a touch pad to spell out words, it took Connie hours to type this: "I am in God's time. Don't cry for me, Argentina...this has happened so that I have to depend fully on Him."

Woah. Now that, friends, is faith -- and a peace with death that I imagine many would envy.

After the talk, we went downstairs to our chapel that was pitch black, with a special surprise: the place was lit entirely by luminarias, bags of sand with candles inside.

We prayed Compline together, better known as Night Prayer, a collection of hymns, psalms and Scripture that the entire Church prays together.

"Watch over us, Lord, as we stay awake, and protect us as we sleep; that awake, we might keep watch with Christ, and asleep, rest in His peace."

The theme was darkness and light, which was perfect for the coming Advent season. The whole experience encouraged us to pray for peace, and trust without anxiety that God will take care of us.

It's just a matter of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your interest in my blog! Please remember when commenting that this is an academic assignment, and while I will gladly answer any questions about Catholicism, I will only be able to respond regarding my own personal faith to a certain extent. If you would like to engage me about *my* faith, feel free to contact me privately. Peace! :)