Friday, October 15, 2010

Turning Outward

Tonight I just want to share a song that just recently made its debut in the Christian music scene.

Over the past month, both in this blog and in the news, we've heard a lot of stories about people who reach out to those who are most in need, and what happens sometimes when those same people are ignored and literally left to die.

We need to look outside of ourselves -- to be a bit crude, get our heads out of our asses -- and realize that life isn't all about our desires and dreams. It's not even about being comfortable. A lot of people consider it a blessing just to wake up every day. But sometimes, we're so consumed in our worries, busyness and technology to notice. If we do notice, how many people are really going to act like it?

These are the questions that Matthew West asks in his newest single, "My Own Little World."



I confess that I have a soft spot for him and his story: a few years ago, he badly damaged his vocal cords to the point where doctors weren't sure he would ever speak again. After undergoing surgery, he had to go three months without saying a word. Not to his wife, and not to his infant son who was just beginning to recognize his daddy. As you can imagine, the experience had a profound impact on him both spiritually and musically.

One last thing: I mentioned above that we are often so preoccupied with worry that we push God out. This weekend, about 25 Catholics from Rowan and Stockton will be going on our semester retreat at St. Mary's of Providence in Elverson, Pa. This semester, the theme is "Pray Instead of Worry." As a typical hyperstressed college student, I'm looking forward to seeing what I gain.

If you feel so inclined, please pray for our success. I'll be back on Sunday night! :)

1 comment:

Thanks for your interest in my blog! Please remember when commenting that this is an academic assignment, and while I will gladly answer any questions about Catholicism, I will only be able to respond regarding my own personal faith to a certain extent. If you would like to engage me about *my* faith, feel free to contact me privately. Peace! :)