Friday, October 22, 2010

"Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you..."



Take a minute to really absorb this photo. Like streaks of paint, the crosses get smaller and smaller until they disappear into the horizon line.

4100 abortions...every day.

That's almost 29,000 in a week. 115,000 each month.

And the most staggering figure of all? If my math is right, there are 1,496,500 abortions performed in one year.

But what can we say about this? Is it a grand achievement that stems from a woman's right to choose that 1.5 million human lives never got a chance to blossom?

This is not a religious issue -- I can comfortably write this post without a single mention of faith. The taking of an innocent human life is never acceptable.

Make no mistake, I write with my efforts focused on objectivity. But I feel that there are some issues on which just about everyone can agree, and at the same time, some on which it is impossible to be silent -- one of them being that we shouldn't kill people.

Of course, the issue in the Supreme Court that is still hotly debated today does not concern when life begins, or even if the woman has the right to terminate her pregnancy (that was established in 1973 with Roe v. Wade). The issue is whether or not a fetus is a human being.

I'll leave it up for you to decide if this is a baby.



What I can say definitively as a person who has looked in the eyes of post-abortive women is that there is so much unnecessary hurt, fear and pain in the world. We need to do everything we can to give troubled parents and their children the support they need.

That's why I'm a proud supporter of Good Counsel Homes, a non-profit that meets the needs of single, homeless and post-abortive mothers. Plus, the organization was founded by the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal, who are just awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your interest in my blog! Please remember when commenting that this is an academic assignment, and while I will gladly answer any questions about Catholicism, I will only be able to respond regarding my own personal faith to a certain extent. If you would like to engage me about *my* faith, feel free to contact me privately. Peace! :)