Monday, September 20, 2010

The Pope and the Media

Pope Benedict has been spent the weekend over in England, a historically anti-Catholic country. Despite the murky history, his presence has invigorated Catholics in that country, criticizing the overwhelming secular atmosphere while encouraging a renewal of faith. (It's refreshing to hear him actually speak in a language I can understand, too.)

Of course, the Church being in the state it's in, anything the pope says is going to be met with fierce opposition, which to some extent is fair and justified.

However, I have to admit tonight that as a member of the media, watching the coverage of this trip is torturous. That is, when it's even being covered at all. The prayer vigil with Benediction from Hyde Park earlier this evening wasn't broadcast in English secular media.

The visit been a huge talking point on most of the major news programs on this side of the pond, but they almost completely miss the point.

"Pope speaks to victims of sexual abuse," a headline reads on my AOL homepage. Brian Williams said yesterday that this trip comes as the Church is still reeling from the most recent scandal, but little else. And 6ABC showed plenty of b-roll featuring angry protesters. Never mind the incredible joy and love so obvious in the cheers of thousands at the vigil.

"But tell me what ELSE happened!" I complained at the TV. Part of me can guess what the response in the media would be to that: Nobody cares what else happened. Priests molest little kids. And we're supposed to be the world's watchdogs. Anything else Benedict has to say is unimportant.

Sigh. Wrong.

Both the Catholic and the reporter in me are frustrated tonight. I know it, the Pope knows it, we all know it...the Vatican screwed up big time. They've apologized over and over again, making both spiritual and financial reparation for the sins of that alleged in the clergy that have shamed us. (According to Newsweek, the percentage of abusers in the priesthood is the same as the general population's.) Will the media ever let the Church move forward?

The pack mentality drives me insane. Could we not actually suspend our judgments long enough to do our jobs and cover all sides with fairness? Charity, even?

I guess not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your interest in my blog! Please remember when commenting that this is an academic assignment, and while I will gladly answer any questions about Catholicism, I will only be able to respond regarding my own personal faith to a certain extent. If you would like to engage me about *my* faith, feel free to contact me privately. Peace! :)