Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Redemption spells disaster on "Redemption Island"

I'm here on a Wednesday night. Everybody get excited!

I was going to write about the concert I went to this weekend, and might still do that on Friday if I'm not too busy (it was amazing). But tonight, something is grinding my gears.

It's the latest reincarnation of "Survivor."


I know, I know. Feel free to stop here. I won't hate you.

The 22nd season, called "Redemption Island," has an interesting twist. Those familiar with the premise know that when you get voted off by your tribe, that's it. This time, you go to Redemption Island alone. The next person voted off will compete in a duel with the current inhabitant. The loser is gone for good, but the winner remains on the island. At a certain point, he or she can re-enter the game.

Last chance: there are spoilers ahead.


Matt Elrod, a 22-year-old pre-med student, has been on RI for 15 days. Elrod was voted off on day 6 for shaking hands with the losing team. Since then, he has successfully defeated every opponent on RI. When it comes to challenges, the kid is GOOD.

Interestingly, he's also a very outspoken Christian. Elrod has said from day 1 that he's playing the game for the glory of God. His winning streak has caused quite a stir, and you guessed it, this week his redemption was more than spiritual. He was allowed to re-enter the game.

Unfortunately, he didn't learn his lesson. Tonight, Elrod had to choose which alliance he would support ... a very tempting decision. One alliance would involve backstabbing, the other forgiveness and loyalty to his old tribe.  

Playing with faith in mind, he confessed his thoughts of betrayal to his former tribe, asked their forgiveness, and swore continuing loyalty. Perfect Biblical contrition there.

They thanked him by voting him off. He's now on RI again, and let's get real; he's PISSED.

Frankly, I think he got what he deserved. Matt played like a fool with his heart on his sleeve, and as admirable as that is, trust and naivete will get you nowhere on "Survivor."

I also think his stupidity tonight sets him up as a bad example. "Look, this idiot put his trust in God, and he got kicked off -- twice!" "Where's his God now?" Those were just some of the things I saw on Twitter.

Faith is beautiful. I wish I knew more guys with his moral integrity. But there's no place for blind trust on this show. I just hope he's successful on RI long enough again to learn his lesson, get back in there and win it.

I mean, how could you not root for a guy that's Christian and this hot? Woo!

1 comment:

  1. Right on, sister! This really riled up you, yet you made logical points. I will hope with you that he returns.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your interest in my blog! Please remember when commenting that this is an academic assignment, and while I will gladly answer any questions about Catholicism, I will only be able to respond regarding my own personal faith to a certain extent. If you would like to engage me about *my* faith, feel free to contact me privately. Peace! :)